#45. The Federal Reserve System conducts research on the U.S. and regional economies and distributes the information through publications, speeches, educational seminars, and Web sites.
You’ll thank yourself later!
Saving money isn’t the easiest thing to do. After you’ve put in your time and hard work, it feels good to reward yourself, but it’s important to start looking at the bigger picture. The money that you spend now is money that you could have had down the road when something big comes up. Here are some money saving tips that might shed a little light on the benefits of saving:
- Perspective – If you asked most people, “would you rather go to dinner and a movie five times, or get a brand new tablet PC?” most people would definitely take the tablet. But when faced with the situation in reality, we often opt for the here and now. So a good idea is to…
- Create alternatives – Be the one who finds an inexpensive activity with friends. Instead of $20-$30 at the restaurant and movie theatre, how about pack sandwiches, sodas and go to the beach for free? Be creative! At the end of the day, you’ll be happy that you saved, and you’re friends will get to save too.
- Set goals – It’s easiest to save when you have your eyes on the prize. New headphones? A car? Laptop? Figure out what it is, and think about it every time you’re tempted to splurge.
- Tread lightly – Credit cards are serious business; almost everyone knows someone who has gotten themselves into trouble with credit and ends up paying back WAY more than they originally borrowed. It might seem like free money right now, but you’ll end up paying way more than it’s worth in interest. Thomas Jefferson said it best, “Never spend your money before you have earned it.”
- Earn it – It’s tough when you’re younger, but as you get older, there are more and more opportunities to earn money. Just make sure that work doesn’t become more important than school. Just like saving more now means having more later, doing better in school now means have more opportunities later.
The important thing to remember in all of this is that it is all for YOU! We all want a nice car, a nice house and all the great things that make us happy, but sometimes fail to see that it takes some time and investment. Put in a little now, and the you a few years down the road will be happy that you did.